A skin condition that causes spots and pimples is Acne. It usually appears on the face, forehead, chest, upper back, and shoulders. It is one of the most common skin conditions in the United States, affecting 50 million Americans yearly.
Acne occurs for all ages, but is most common for teens and young adults. In fact, 85 percent of people who have acne, are between the ages of 12 and 24 years.
Some of the main causes are:
- Excess oil production
- Hair follicles clogged by oil and dead skin cells
- Excess hormones of a single type (androgens) or hormonal changes
- Whiteheads (closed, plugged pores)
- Blackheads (open, plugged pores)
- Pimples (papules with pus)
- Papules (small soft, and red bumps)
- Nodules (Large, hard, painful lumps)
- Painful, pus-filled lumps beneath the surface of the skin.
It is not dangerous, but it may leave skin scars.
Risk factors or factors that may worsen acne
- Specific Medications
- Diet. Carbohydrate-rich food may worsen acne.
Avoid working in greasy areas, as it causes extra oil to stick to the skin, and may promote acne.
Many home remedies for acne include:
- Changing your diet
- Tea-tree oil
- Certain moisturizers (aloe vera can have a soothing effect).
When to contact a doctor
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) says that some popular nonprescription acne lotions, and various other skin products may cause a serious reaction.
If you experience the following after using a product, seek emergency medical help.
- Breathing trouble
- Swelling of eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- Tightness of the throat
Treatment for acne and reactions to skin products are available at AFC Urgent Care Warrington. Everyone including the residents of Central Bucks located around Warrington, Warminster, Doylestown, Horsham, Chalfont, and Hatboro can walk-in between 8:00AM – 8:00 PM on Weekdays and 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM on weekends.